United Kingdom, located at the north western shore of Europe, is the world’s first industrialized country and still possesses substantial influence in terms of culture, science, economy, politics and military globally. Apart from this, it is well known for its sports, Archaic monuments and pop music. But there are some Bizarre laws which are still followed in UK. Here are some peculiar and unbelievable laws in United Kingdom.
10 Peculiar Laws in United Kingdom
- By law it is legal for a pregnant woman to relieve herself anywhere she wishes, even in a policeman’s hat. There will be no legal action taken against the pregnant woman even after urinating in a policeman’s hat.
2. In England dying is illegal in the Houses of Parliaments. Nigel Cawthorne, author of The Strange Laws of Old England, said: “Anyone who dies there is technically entitled to a state funeral.
“If they see you looking a bit sick they carry you out quickly.”
3. In England it is illegal to catch a cab while suffering from plague. It prohibits anyone who has a notifiable disease, which include the plague, cholera, relapsing fever, small pox and typhus, from using a public conveyance that is used to transport multiple people or from using any public conveyance without notifiying the owner or driver that he or she is suffering from a notifiable disease. The penalty for violating the law is a fine.
4. In London, England, wife beating is legal just as long as it is not after 9 pm and it doesn’t disturb the neighbors. This is one of the strangest fact in a Democratic country.
5. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen.
6. Beating or shaking carpets, mats or rugs is illegal. Doormats may be beaten, but not after eight in the morning.
7. Placing a postage stamp bearing the monarch’s head upside down on an envelope is considered as act of treason.
8. The Licensing Act of 1872 explains that operating a cow, horse or steam engine while intoxicated carries either a prison sentence or a fine. So no riding a cow while you’re drunk.
9. Royal Navy ships that enter the Port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London.
10. In Chester, Welshmen are banned from entering the city before sunrise and from staying after sunset.